The Franklin Center of Beaver County’s youth education programs create more opportunities
for all youth to develop confidence, creativity, and interest in science, technology, engineering,
math, entrepreneurship, and learning as a whole with a concentration in project-based learning and making.
We are recruiting Americorps Members that will serve as mentors and role models in a
variety of community settings. Americorps Members will be employed at two Host Sites for the
summer of 2016 (late May through August 2016) to engage children and families in creative projects that develop problem-solving skills, while gaining experience serving as community leaders.
Members must have the willingness and ability to travel as they will be placed in the City of New Castle in the morning and the City of Aliquippa in the afternoon Monday through Thursday, and may be asked to work with additional partners on Fridays. This position is mostly Monday through Friday daytime hours, although an occasional evening or weekend may be required. Members will be placed through the Butler Health System’s Family Service Corps and will receive a living stipend during the program’s duration and educational award (if they are college students) upon completion of the program.
IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS:
- Interest in creativity, DIY art and science projects, and making things
- Technical experience in 3D printing, laser cutting/engraving, vinyl cutting, coding (SCRATCH, etc.) and/or wearable electronics
- Excellent leadership, communication, and presentation skills
- The ability to engage effectively with children, adults, and Host Site staff
- Passion for educating
- Awareness and sensitivity in interacting with diverse populations
- Willingness and ability to travel between Host Sites daily
- Ability to pass all required criminal background checks
- Previous experience working with youth from diverse populations
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist your Host Sites in the creation of new maker experiences
- Facilitate (lead) interactive making explorations for youth and families
- Contribute towards a shared body of work including: photos, blog entries, written reflections, and project write-ups
- Participate fully in evaluation efforts to collect data about the summer program
- Represent the Franklin Center of Beaver County and the Host Sites in a positive manner via attitude, communications and enthusiasm
- Participate fully with program partners in the delivery of cohesive activities for youth
- Perform other duties as assigned
- If interested, please contact the Butler Family Service Corps at the Butler Health System website: www.butlerhealthsystem.org . On the bottom of the homepage, click CAREERS. Select ONLINE APPLICATION. Select ALL job openings from the selection box. AmeriCorps is listed as #2.