Monday, January 16, 2017 @ 8:30- 2 p.m.
Why your help is being solicited for MLK Day of Service 2017
Some years ago Duquesne Light volunteers made the front page of the Beaver County Times as they painted the much needed exterior of the Professional Outfitters and Variety Shoppe shortly after we opened the doors of this workforce development project. Nine years later and now over 8,000 clients served, it’s time for a fresh look again! Perhaps our volunteers will get noticed again as we give Professional Outfitters a fresh new look inside!
What is Professional Outfitters? It is a program of the Franklin Center, human service agency serving western Pennsylvania. There are three sites in the Beaver County area, each of which is unique in the services provided. The focus of this program is to provide clothing, household items and other daily living essentials to men, women and children who are dealing with issues such as unemployment, underemployment or a crisis/emergency situation. Gently worn, used and sometimes new items that are donated from the community are sorted, processed and then made available at the three locations.
How the Community is served
- Vouchers are provided to organizations that serve targeted populations
- Other situations are addressed on a case by case basis as they are presented to the Franklin Center of Beaver County, Inc.
Additional Services Provided
- Workshops dealing with appropriate dress for interviewing and work
- Community service opportunities to help with re-entry into the workforce
- Speakers (free of charge) are available for meetings, seminars, workshops etc.
- Happily accepting those clothing, household items and furniture that are cluttering up your closets, attics and basements
Orientation, greetings and continental repass at Professional Outfitters and Variety Shoppe at 1035 Third Avenue, New Brighton, Pa. 15066.
T-shirts (if available), instructions and tools/supplies will be passed out. Coffee/drink will be available the whole time. Bag lunches when the project is done.
Possible teams for the day’s work depending on how many people are signed up.
Window washing team…Restocking shelves with merchandise (clothing).
Finishing off the two new open doorways with 2×4’s to make two permanent openings.